The United States opened the second half with five straight goals and dominated the final 40 minutes of play to beat the Iroquois Nationals 17-9 in its opening game at the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse Men’s World Championship.
”Playing a game like this where you get knocked back a little bit, you find out what kind of character you have,” said U.S. team head coach John Danowski.
The Iroquois, which arrived in Israel earlier in the day due to passport travel delays, jumped out a 3-0 lead less than seven minutes into the game and withstood several first half U.S. rallies to take a 7-5 halftime lead.
After falling behind 3-0, the U.S. got consecutive goals from Matt Danowski, Jordan Wolf and Rob Pannell to tie the game with 6:29 left in the opening quarter.
Lyle Thompson converted an extra man goal to put the Iroquois back on top and Randy Staats stretched the lead to two late in the quarter. The U.S. again tied the game as John Haus scored with just three seconds left in the first quarter and then Ryan Brown scored early in the second quarter to make it 5-5.
It was touch-and-go for the Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team on Wednesday as they waited at Toronto Pearson Airport to find out their fate: would they be able to join 46 international teams in the World Lacrosse Championship in Israel, or would they be forced to remain in Canada, shut out from playing? After fighting pressure from the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement and making a conscious decision to attend the lacrosse tournament in Israel, it was discovered that despite having booked their flight, they were unable to travel on their Haudenosaunee passports.
Former Yesh Atid MK Dov Lipman, who was contacted by Israel Lacrosse Association executive director Scott Neiss, played a key role in helping to resolve the issue as fast as possible. With just days until the competition, it took 72 hours of non-stop calls and letters to embassies, ambassadors, prime ministers’ offices, officials and foreign ministries to find a way around the stalemate, with many people from both the Israeli and Canadian side doing their best to fight the clock and make this work. “We had a stalemate because Canada said they’d love to send them, and Israel would love them to come, but Israel doesn’t allow people to travel into the country without official passports or documentation,” Lipman told The Jerusalem Post. “There are security issues, and Israel can’t have an open-door policy [but] everyone wanted to make it work.”
We’ve already begun looking back to 2018 with some team recaps thus far and continued our series this week with UMBC, Providence, and Drexel.
So with that, let’s continue the recaps!
#48 Army West Point Black Knights
Conference: Patriot League
2018 Record: 5-8 (2-6 in Patriot League play)
Head coach: Joe Alberici (13th Year)
Goals: Nate Jones (23)
Assists: Conor Glancy (11)
Points: Nate Jones (33)
Faceoffs: John Ragno (102-of-190; 53.7%)
Ground balls: Jon LaMonica (58)
Caused turnovers: Johnny Surdick (23)
Goals against average: AJ Barretto (8.16 GAA)
Save percentage: AJ Barretto (50.5%)
There’s no shortage of men’s lacrosse stars for powerhouses like the United States, Canada and the Iroquois Nationals to tap for the Federation of International Men’s World Lacrosse Championship, which opens Thursday in Netanya, Israel.
But for nontraditional nations, the pool is not quite as deep.
That’s where someone like John Tornabene steps in. The Havre de Grace native and Archbishop Curley graduate, who in April wrapped up his senior year as a close defenseman for UMBC, will play for the Filipino national team, which in 2014 became the 50th country to join the FIL. His maternal grandparents called the Southeast Asia country home for years before immigrating to the United States.
“The Filipino nation is not necessarily known as a sports nation, and I want to go out and prove what we’re capable of,” he said. “Maybe one day, we can be as good as the United States. It might take some time, but it’s not out of sight.”
Here are some pics videos from the opening ceremony from Israel.
When I was just 12-months-old, before I had the ability to understand the impact it would have on my life, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My diagnosis was unexpected, although when are they not? After weeks of constantly vomiting and begging for more juice, my mother was growing increasingly concerned. She had multiple doctors tell her I was simply ill with a stomach virus, and that some ginger ale and rest would help me heal. Little did anyone realize that all of that sugar was a death march – I ended up losing 25 percent of my body fat in just two days.
Finally, my mother rushed me to the emergency room after my health showed no signs of improvement. It took over an hour of poking and prodding my veins to try and draw blood because of how dehydrated I was, a common sign of DKA. Finally, the head doctor came in and said, “Mrs. Castellano, your son’s blood sugar is 1,200. He ne to be admitted immediately. I can’t guarantee the outcome of this because your son is very sick.”
By some miracle, I survived, and I left the hospital as a 12-month-old Type 1 diabetic, eight days later. At first, it was a roller coaster for my parents. Since my mother had a nutrition background, she understood monitoring carbs, and learned how to manage my insulin. I quickly gained my weight back. As a natural-born athlete, my parents signed me up for football, lacrosse, baseball, soccer and basketball as I grew up.
Two weeks of legal sports betting and the opening of the city’s first new casinos in six years helped Atlantic City to a 7.3 percent increase in gambling revenue last month, and the best June ever for the city’s best-performing casino. Including revenue from brick-and-mortar casinos, online gambling and sports betting, the casinos took in $233.6 million in June 2018. Internet gambling was up 12.1 percent over the prior June, to $22.6 million, according to numbers released Thursday by the state Division of Gaming Enforcement. Borgata Hotel Casino Spa had the best June in its 15-year history, winning $65.8 million from gamblers, more than twice the amount won by its nearest competitors in Atlantic City.
Wanna go to space? Just give Jeff Bezos $200K.
Jeff Bezos’ rocket company plans to charge passengers about $200,000 to $300,000 for its first trips into space next year, two people familiar with its plans told Reuters.
Potential customers and the aerospace industry have been eager to learn the cost of a ticket on Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle, to find out if it is affordable and whether the company can generate enough demand to make a profit on space tourism.
Executives at the company, started by Amazon.com Inc founder Bezos in 2000, told a business conference last month they planned test flights with passengers on the New Shepard soon, and to start selling tickets next year.
I react the same when the pizza guy arrives.
follow me (@dog) for more dog posts!
A post d by @DOG (@dog) on Jul 12, 2018 at 2:15pm PDT
That’s it for today!! I’ll see you out there!! Make sure you follow us on social media!
Managing Editors: Safe Fekadu, Chris Jastrzembski, Ryan McDonnell