The Foreign Office has issued advice to all football fans ahead of the UEFA Europa League final.
To ensure fans of both sides are fully prepared for the match, the Foreign Office has issued advice and tips.
And below is everything fans need to know before embarking on your trip.
Passports and visas
– A simplified online visa system (ASAN Visa) was introduced in 2017. You can make an application on the official e-visa website . Electronic visas are valid for 30 days and are single entry. You won’t be able to extend an electronic visa once you’ve arrived in Azerbaijan
– For e-visa applications for the Europa League Final please note that in “Purpose of visit” field of your e-visa application you should select “EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL”
– Some specific exemptions may apply; see the Azerbaijan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for further details
– You can still apply for a visa through the Azerbaijan Embassy-affiliated Visa Service Centre in the UK. See the Visa Centre website for more information
– Your passport will need to be valid for at least 6 months after entry
– Police sometimes carry out checks of identity documents. You should carry your passport at all times. Keep it secure and leave a photocopy of the details page separately in a safe place
– Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance – your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) won’t be valid in Azerbaijan, so travel and medical insurance is essential even if you’re only staying for 1 night
– If you’re visiting Azerbaijan for longer than 15 days, you must register within 15 working days of arrival; hotels may provide this service for their guests but visitors staying in apartments or private residences will have to register by themselves – guidance on the process can be found on the State Migration Service’s website .
Official UEFA Europa League Final (UEFA) transport
– Individual travelers with match tickets or vouchers; a special free airport shuttle bus will operate from terminal 1, Heydar Aliyev International Airport to Koroglu metro station, next to Baku Olympic Stadium, then to 28 May metro station in Baku city centre
– Supporters landing at Heydar Aliyev International Airport via chartered flight will be brought by coaches to coach parks P21 for Chelsea supporters and P22 for Arsenal supporters, next to the stadium. From there, they can take a frequent free shuttle buses respectively to the Fan Meeting Points at Sahil Park (Chelsea) and Winter Park (Arsenal)
– Some visitors have reported being over-charged by local taxis – with private hire it’s best to negotiate a price before leaving – for a journey to one of the major hotels in central Baku expect to pay 20-30 AZN and make sure any taxi you take has a yellow taxi sign or clear taxi branding on it
– If taking a metered cab ensure the taxi meter is switched on
– Check that the taxi has working seatbelts
Official UELF transport
A free shuttle bus service will be available from the two designated fan meeting points in Sahil Park (Chelsea) and Winter Park (Arsenal) to the stadium, this service will operate until 11.00pm on match day.
Baku Olympic Stadium is located towards the north-east of Baku on the road that runs from the city centre to the international airport. It lies on the shore of Lake Boyukshor, roughly 11 kilometres from the old walled city and Fountain Square. The address: H. Aliyev Ave. 323, Baku, AZ1040.
Baku Olympic Stadium is located just outside the city centre. For a journey from the centre of Baku expect to pay around 10 AZN in an app-based taxi or 12-20 for a private taxi. If using a London-style taxi make sure the meter is used. The traffic may be very busy on match day so allow plenty of time.
The closest metro station is Koroglu which is a 10 to 15 minute walk from the stadium. It’s on the Qirmizi (red) and Yasil (green) metro lines. See the Baku metro official website for more information.
Bus numbers 11, 20, 24, 36, 93 and 94 all stop at Milli Stadion, right outside the ground. All public transports will be open till 4.00am in the morning on the 30 May and will be free of charge for the ticket holders.
At the match
– In addition to items which would usually be prohibited in the UK, please note the following items that will also not be allowed to be taken into the stadium: flares, fireworks, alcohol, cans, glass, plastic bottles or containers, coins, lighters. If you do bring any of these items they will be confiscated by the Azerbaijani authorities
Gates number W6, W11, W17 and W22 are designated for wheelchair users and their companions. Please note that each supporter with disability can only have one companion who can use fast track lane in Pedestrian Screening Area; access the above gates and sit next to the disabled supporter.
Alcohol and smoking
Official UEFA Europa League Final (UEFA) transport
– Coaches will be dedicated only to the fans travelling by charter flights. After the match, they can return to their coach parks, (P21 for Chelsea supporters and P22 for Arsenal supporters) and wait for coaches to leave for the airport, according to the flight schedules.