Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who has launched a military offensive against the UN-recognised government in Tripoli, held surprise talks with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte in Rome on Thursday ahead of a visit to Paris next week, officials said.
“It was a fairly long meeting, a lengthy exchange of information,” Conte told journalists. “I informed him of the government‘s position. We want a ceasefire and we feel that the political path is the only solution.”
Conte said last week that he wanted to meet Haftar after his talks with Sarraj.
France and Italy are the two lead European powers seeking to find a solution to years of instability, spreading Islamic extremism and a migrant crisis in Libya which fell into chaos after the NATO-backed toppling of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.
But the neighbours are seen by experts as competing for influence and the issue has caused tensions between the governments.
Paris has rejected the claims, saying it supports Sarraj but also considers Haftar a key player in rebuilding Libya after years of strife.
The fighting has killed at least 430 people and wounded over 2,000 while displacing 55,000 others, according to UN estimates.
The European Union on Monday called for all sides in the conflict to put down their arms and commit to UN talks, saying the offensive was a threat to international peace.
“The situation in Libya is very worrying because the roadmap proposed by the United Nations has been jeopardised by both the move by Marshal Haftar and by the move, or non-move by Prime Minister Sarraj,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told lawmakers on Tuesday.
? 2019 AFP